Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Author in the Spotlight ~ Eve Langlais

CK: Hello Everyone! Please welcome Eve Langlais.
When did you launch your writing career?

EL: Well my first book came out March 19th of this year, but I sat down to seriously write in February of 2009.


CK: Where do you come up with some of the awesome creatures you create? 

EL: Don’t laugh, but some of my greatest ideas have come from listening to 80's music while driving. The worse part is having to wait til I get home to write them down. When I got my idea for a fallen angel while listening to HoneyMoon suite, I chanted the line I wanted to use all the way home. Needless to say my family often looks at me funny.


CK: Hey, not laughing at all. Isn’t it awesome how ideas come to you while listening to music? Yeah, I get strange looks from my family too. Where did you submit your first story?

EL: I submitted my first novel Take A Chance to Champagne Books and to my surprise and joy they took it. It’s due to come out on June 1st.




CK: Congratulations to you for the upcoming release! How do you fit writing into your busy schedule?

EL: It’s not easy fitting writing into my regular life especially considering I work from home full time and am a mom of three, the youngest of which is still at home with me. I try to make a goal of 10k words a week though which is usually pretty easy to meet and often exceeded.


CK: Yup, we all must learn that balancing act, especially when children are involved.  You have your hands full. My hat goes off to you for being a successful writer while caring for three children during the day. What are the pros and cons of being a published author?

EL: Pro – it is so neat to be able to tell people I’m an author even as I’m blushing and ducking my head because I’m shy about it. Con-I hate the marketing aspect. Selling myself and the books I’m writing is hard. But I’ve been making great friends though on that journey so it’s not all bad.


CK: Ah yes, the “M” word. It takes time, but it is a necessary evil. This is what I enjoy about marketing, meeting new and exciting artists along the way. Please, tell us about your most recent project.

EL: Goodness, I always seem to have a couple going at once. I recently finished work on one set in the near future where most of humanity has died because of a pandemic. I’m also working on one with a wicked witch who hooks up with a shifter. Kind of a bad girl meets bad guy. Sparks are flying on that one.

CK: Please share one of your stories with us.

EL: Here’s an excerpt from my May 14th release Alien Mate with Amira Press, A spicy sci-fi romance with probes of a pleasurable kind.



         The day Diana met her first alien dawned liked any other—with a dry, cottony mouth and a bad case of bed head. She didn’t even have any warning because, unlike the X Files and sci-fi movies, she didn’t see any lights in the sky, and her TV image didn’t go all snowy. That kind of pissed her off, because had she known she would be having an up-close-and-personal encounter with life from another planet, she might have at least brushed her hair and worn something other than her ragged robe, plaid boxer shorts, and loose tank top. Anyways, there she stood, ironing her underwear—being single left her with way too much time on her hands—when suddenly, IT appeared in the middle of her living room. It wasn’t a spectacular living room as living rooms went outfitted with a secondhand sagging couch and chair, a coffee table that wobbled, and some kind of Oriental print rug in bad need of a beating. A receptionist’s salary didn’t go far in the city.
            Needless to say, when IT appeared, he did so right on top of her flimsy coffee table, which under its weight collapsed, something her visitor absently noted when it looked down at its bare and fairly large feet.
            Studying it in shock, Diana amended the “IT” part to “Holy Hunk” because, if it hadn’t been for the fact his skin shone a startling sky blue, she would have mistaken him for some super-hot underwear model—one who magically appeared in her living room, only sans the underwear.
            Good thing he’s hung like a . . . 
         With flaming cheeks, Diana quickly averted her gaze, but his sizable endowment stayed with her, and flustered, she stammered, “Wh-Who are you?” Other than the most gorgeous naked man I’ve ever seen. She was so startled by her naked visitor that she accidentally left the iron lying on her underwear too long, and a burning smell wafted up. Nose twitching, Diana quickly set the iron upright and looked down in dismay at the big burn mark on the ass of her favorite pair of undies. Damn.
         So of course her blue alien chuckled—yes, apparently creatures from space or alternate dimensions had senses of humor too.
         “Greetings, earthling female,” said a voice, smooth as hot, melted chocolate with just a hint of an accent. “I come in peace. I will be your leader.”
         Startled by her alien’s horrible B-movie speech, Diana said the only thing that came to mind. “Um, isn’t that supposed to be ‘Take me to your leader’?”
         Brilliant white teeth that shone opalescent like pearls between darker blue lips appeared when he smiled. “No, you heard me correctly, earthling. I’ve come to be your leader.”
         Diana laughed. She just couldn’t help herself. Of all the things she expected him to say, that had to rank as one of the dumbest. His face remained quite serious, though, so of course she continued to howl even when she saw a tinge of annoyance draw his handsome features tight.
         “I fail to see the humor, earthling female. I will be your leader. You will respect me as is my due.”
         Diana cackled again, wiping the tears in her eyes with the back of her hand. “Oh, you are so funny. And just how is one naked alien going to convince the world that he’s now their new leader?” Diana giggled anew at the thought of him aiming that weapon between his legs. Given its, size he’d definitely intimidate the male population and make the female one swoon.
         A frown met her answer, followed by a wide Colgate smile, which made Diana wonder—do aliens brush their teeth?
          “I never said I intended to rule the world, earthling. I’ve come to be your leader. You have been chosen by the oracle and the spirits of my ancestors to be my mate,” he stated with a self-satisfied grin.

CK:  Ummm, sounds hott! Thank you for that tidbit. I’ve had my eye on your book but have not set aside the time to read it. Where do you see yourself two years from now?



EL: In two years I will hopefully have a massive back list and be able to relax sipping pina colada’s instead of going cross eyed doing marketing. LOL. I just hope the ideas keep coming and than my fingers keep flying.

CK:  LOL.  Those ideas will develop so fast, you won’t know what hit you. What are your hobbies?

EL:  Reading has always been a huge part of my life. I also love to play rpg’s, my current favorite is an online game called Evony II. Being a mom, I also spend a lot of time with my kids, swimming being a favorite summer pastime.


CK:  Awesome! Spending quality time with our children is very important. How do you unwind?

EL:  My hobbies are my unwind time. Reading and gaming once the kids go to bed or hanging out with my hubby watching our favorite shows like Survivor and Vampire Diaries is a nice way to relax. On Saturday nights when he goes out with the boys, I love to play Evony with my online war buddies.


CK:  Vampire Diaries, now that’s my show, along with True Blood, of course. Do you mold your characters strictly from imagination or from those you cross paths with in everyday life?

EL:  A bit of both. With The Hunter, I molded the personality of the three year old twins from that of my own children. The alpha tendencies of my heroes are taken somewhat from my husband. What can I say, I love a big tough guy. Others are complete fabrications of my twisted mine. LOL.


CK:  What are your favorite paranormal creatures? Pick two please.
EL:  Demons and shifters. But vamps are really close behind. Demons are just the ultimate in bad ass dudes. You can shape them to be whatever you want and give them magic too, or not, depends on my mood. And shifters, well, their territorial alpha tendencies are just plain hot.

CK:  Where can you be found on the internet?

EL:  I’m in a few spots, the main being my website http://www.EveLanglais.com
On my site you can find links to my FaceBook Fan Page, MySpace, Ning and also Goodreads. You can also find me on my publisher websites, http://www.AmiraPress.com and ChampagneBooks.com


CK:  Eve Langlais, thank you so much for sharing. I’m totally digging Alien Mate. I can’t wait to read it! 

1 comment:

Historical Writer/Editor said...

Hello, Eve. Great interview. I agree with your pros and cons and so much more. :)