Sunday, June 3, 2012

Author Blog Challenge Day 2 ~ Charisma's Skills

We're on The Author Blog Challenge ~ Day 2



* What type of writing classes, programs and workshops have you attended to improve your writing craft? Did you ever teach any writing workshops, and what types of exercises were used to improve your writing skills? *

I'm no English Major and I don't hold a Literary Degree in writing. Years ago I thought without these accomplishments one could never achieve their writing dream. Those skills help, however, there are other ways I've honed my craft.

I've been mentored by successful seasoned writers who noticed I had potential. As a matter of fact, author Bonnie Lea Elliott is currently editing my Death Angel manuscript and I must say I'm quite impressed. She paints with words and writes using the layering formula.  I'm determined to add that to my list of skills. Yes I write well, but my craft is far from perfect. Writing is something that we can improve each day. The more we do it, the better we become at it.

 I've worked with many fabulous editors and saved every manuscript I've edited. Yes, it really does help to go back and look at those. While your editor is taking the time to help you, don't be afraid to ask questions. Pick their brains, that's what they do. You'll learn something new and exciting with each editing round. I have one hell of an imagination, but if it weren't for my editors my stories wouldn't shine. Yes, give a shout to all the editors who have helped you along in your writing career! I'm surprised mine don't run away screaming in fear.    

My daughters are excellent writers and I've learned so much from them. It made me proud when their Language Arts teachers told me how well my they have excelled and how well they can express themselves. When I sit down to read their work, I'm filled with a sense of pride because I know they'll go far in their achievements. I encourage them to sharpen those skills at a very early age. Children are great teachers. We should listen to them!

Don't be ashamed to ask someone for help. This is not the time to let pride stand in your way. Sometimes when I receive my edits I feel like I'm back in elementary school *shivers*

Read, read, read, and read some more!!! Believe it or not, this helps because you can see how another author executes their plots. Hey, we all can learn from each other. That's the awesome thing about this journey and I just love it when someone reaches out to me and vice versa.

That's all I have for today!

2 comments:

Jo Michaels said...

I agree with your suggestion that folks should read if they write. You cannot write if you don't read. People that try astound me. :)

WRITE ON!!

Biscuit Recipes said...

Hi thankss for posting this